Sunday, October 23, 2011

MATC Music Occupations Program - Success Stories - Joey Zak

"I had always known what I wanted to do from a young age. Play music in a rock band. After high school in Door County, WI, I remembered I had the choice of many colleges. I wanted to move to LA, but to make my parents happy, I chose school. I chose MATC, because a friend from the area had told me great things about their music program. I remember being only one of four students in the music occupations orientation!"

"After MATC and playing in several bands / studio projects from the Milwaukee area, Die Alone, Halo Speed and Eli Mattson, I started a job at Guitar Center in Brookfield. Selling drums for three years was fun, but I soon realized that I wanted to be on the other side of the counter as an artist buying product! During that time, I hooked up with Marashino as their drummer and toured the US for 6 years. I have been featured on news/radio stations and in Modern Drummer. I also won a WAMI in 2008 for best drummer. We played with many nationals such as Seether, Shinedown, Finger Eleven ect.. Also during this time, I played drums for Eli Mattson. Eli placed second on NBC's 2008 Americas Got Talent. I met Eli downstairs in the “C” building of MATC! During the time Marashino was without a singer in 2010, I received a phone call from Memphis that would change it all. My friend asked me to fill in on a tour playing drums in Joan Red, a Memphis band I was already friends with. This was a co-headlining tour with a band called Echovalve."




"After this tour, the singer of Echovalve, myself and the remnants of Marashino formed Dorydrive. We have since been on several national tours, opening for acts such as Tantric, Hinder, and Quiet Riot. We have recently made several ABC television appearances and have signed with management out of Florida, who continues to help us grow. Dorydrive has few publicists as well as sponsors such as Lovegone clothing, Samick Guitars, Re-Use Jeans and more.. The band is currently based out of Nashville, where we are being produced and recorded by Josh Mendez and Ryan Rossebo, who are both from the MATC music program as well! There is a lot to my story, and if you have any questions find me online and ask! The knowledge I gained, and the relationships that I made were building blocks for the success that I now have today. Thanks to MATC Music's Steve Peplin, Ben Hans, Jack Grassel, Robbie Heighway, Deb Klecker and all that helped so closely on a personal level during my years there!"

-Joey Zak
www.dorydrive.com
www.facebook.com/dorydrivemusic
www.facebook.com/joey.zak

No comments:

Post a Comment