Monday, September 12, 2011

MATC Music Occupations Program - Success Stories - Nick Matzke

After graduating from High School in 2002, I decided to enroll in the Music Occupations program at M.A.T.C.  I came in as a player who was mostly self-taught with a limited knowledge of theory, composition, and reading.  From day one I was very excited about the learning environment that the program provided for me.  I got to learn from instructors who were masters at their craft and really enjoyed networking and playing with the fellow students.  Most of my music connections in Milwaukee were made through students and faculty at M.A.T.C.  Getting to take the guitar classes with Steve Peplin was really helpful for my sight-reading and he helped me transition from being primarily a rock player to being able to also play jazz.  Hal Miller’s music theory classes really gave me a strong understanding of both jazz and classical theory.  Jack Grassel was also a huge influence with the ear training classes he taught as well as the lessons I took with him.  He really opened my eyes and ears to the world of jazz and taught some very valuable lessons.  Ben Hans taught a music business class that really helped me understand how to make a living playing music and how to promote.  I also got into recording through M.A.T.C. when I took Jeff Taylor’s class.  A lot of the recoding techniques learned in that class are techniques I still use today and it served as a great foundation for my time after M.A.T.C.  I also really enjoyed playing in the ensembles with all the different tunes and styles we got to play.   
While at M.A.T.C. I learned about Berklee College of Music in Boston from Steve Peplin who was a graduate of Berklee.  Once I graduated from M.A.T.C. in 2005, I applied to Berklee and with the knowledge I learned in the Music Occupations program, I was able get accepted and test into upper level theory and ear training classes at Berklee.  I was able to transfer all my general course credits from M.A.T.C. into Berklee and was able to focus strictly on music courses at Berklee.  I was able to finish a five-year dual major program in three years.  I graduated from Berklee in 2008 with a Bachelors Degree in Performance and Music Production & Engineering.  I moved out to Los Angeles and was able to get a job working at Westlake Recording Studio, which is one of LA’s top studios most famous for being the studio used by Michael Jackson for most of his albums.  I got an inside look at the recording industry and the experience of working at a Studio that records major label clients every day.  Kelly Clarkson, T-Pain, Seal, The Jonas Brothers, are just a few of the artists who recorded there while I worked at Westlake.  While I enjoyed the time in LA and gained valuable experience, I realized if I were to continue on the path of being an audio engineer, I would have to give up life as a player.  After a year of working in LA, I relocated to Houston to accept a full time teaching position in 2009.  I’m currently back to doing what I love which is performing with multiple bands and teaching full time.  I also do freelance engineering, mixing, and producing on the side.  I released my first solo album “Physical Proof” in 2009 and in the 9 years since I started at M.A.T.C. I recorded many albums with different bands such as 7 on 6, The Orphonic Orchestra. The Konami Kode, and have also produced, engineered, and mixed albums by artist’s such as Emily Kiel, Highway 59, Wings Burn Away, and Elei Ferrucci.   
Some people would think I view M.A.T.C. as just a stepping-stone, but to me my time at M.A.T.C. was just as valuable as my time at Berklee.  Without the knowledge, skills, and contacts I gained during my time in the Music Occupations program I would not be where I am today.  Thank you to all the instructors in program for giving me a great music education.
--Nick Matzke
Guitarist----Recording & Mixing Engineer----Instructor 
www.nickmatzke.com

No comments:

Post a Comment