Wednesday, September 21, 2011

MATC Music Occupations Program - Success Stories - Tony Gehring

“When I think about my time in the Music Occupations program the first thing I think about is family.  I went into this new experience not knowing anybody and not really even knowing what I was getting into and walking out a few years later with friends that I will have for life.  The Music Occupations program greatly benefited my playing skills, musical knowledge and networking ideas.
The theory and harmony classes taught by Steve Peplin were very easy to understand.  He took very complicated topics broke them down to the ground level and then built them back up.  Taking bass classes with Tom McGirr helped my playing immensely.  I was able to sight read better and apply the knowledge from the theory and harmony classes onto my instrument.
The Music Business class with Ben Hans was a great life experience.  At the time I was taking the Music Business class, my band Living Dred was just finishing up recording on our first album.  We were also planning on touring that summer after the album came out.  I had no idea about copyrights, press kits or how to start the process of promotion.  Ben helped guide me through the proper steps and also gave insightful ideas on how to get signed, start your own record label and how to network successfully with other musicians.  Since then Living Dred has toured twice, played over 200 shows, and we’re currently getting ready to release our 2nd album.
I always look back at my time at MATC very fondly.  Before MATC I had fun playing music and not really understanding what I was doing.  Since leaving, it’s easier for me to write songs, I’m able to help my fellow band member’s better understand what they’re playing and I maintain successful relationships with venue owners and other bands.  It’s always great to go to local shows and run into MATC students and faculty, we still are one big family.”
-Tony Gehring


No comments:

Post a Comment