Friday, September 16, 2011

MATC Music Occupations Program - Success Stories - Denise Burton

"Since I was four I knew that I wanted to grow up to be a musician. Years of piano recitals, choirs and musicals led me to enrolling in to MATC's music program at the age of 19. I didn't know that MATC had a music program at first, so I was so happy because of the affordability. My experience there can be summed up in one word FAMILY. My classmates mean the world to me I am so blessed to have met so many talented individuals. All of my instructors are so talented, knowledgeable and supportive; they helped me take my skills to the next level. I didn't know how to read sheet music when I enrolled. Now I not only know how to read sheet music I am able to write it as well. I've also acquired knowledge in music theory, composition, performing, singing, recording and a laundry list of other things. Thanks to all my caring instructors, I am now employed as a contracted music teacher. I will be going into my third year and have already taught in over eight schools, grades K-4 through 12. I have performed at African World festival 2010 with my band Black Coffee(All Girls Band). I am a recipient of the Student Production Award for the Television Academy for the Connections 2010 project. I now have my own studio (JREAM Productions) from the business plan I wrote in Ben Hans' Music Business class five years ago. My husband and I are in the process of starting a Non-Profit titled JREAM Kids, which will educate youth in the Multimedia Arts. I am currently working on my first Album and Ep and I am venturing into jingle writing, I am thankful to my deceased father who thought to buy me a keyboard before I started kindergarten; my mother for her unending belief in me; my husband for sharing his dream with me; my family and friends who are my backbone; my God for giving me this gift and all my instructors for pouring knowledge into me, because of them my career is taking off with unlimited potential and I’m excited to see how far I’ll go."


Denise Burton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQLn8WvdoE

No comments:

Post a Comment