Tuesday, September 6, 2011

MATC Music Occupations Program - Success Stories - Bob Schaab

“Before MATC, I had been playing drums for about 5 years.  I had an interest in music since 7th grade, but I didn’t know what I wanted to do with it.  It wasn’t until my senior year in high school where I found out that Milwaukee Area Technical College had a Music Occupations program.  After researching the program, it sounded too good to be true.  I had the great pleasure to work with awesome professors such as Ben Hans, Hal Miller, Robbi Heighway, Steve Peplin, Jim Reith, Julie Brandenburg, and Gary Williams.  They helped me propel not only my ability to play my instrument, but as well as my appreciation towards other genres of music and instrumentalists, business, my ability to play in an ensemble/band, and my sight reading.”
“Since my time at MATC, I have performed in many bands and ensembles, such as MATC Jazz Trio, Cartilage Party, Paradigm Shifters, Spur, James Murphy/Jon Lovas Quartet, Hale O Malo, UWM Symphony, Mr. Logek and the Noise, the MATC All-Stars, plus many others, and most recently, have had the great honor to perform with the legendary Bob Becker.  I also teach at the Wisconsin Academy of Music as a Percussion and Bass Guitar teacher.  As of now, I’m working on a vast number of projects soon to be coming out of the woodwork this year and have a load of shows coming up. 
“The greatest thing about MATC was that all the professors and students were incredibly supportive, and I have the great pleasure to call my friends.  I’ve never gotten support and encouragement like that anywhere else.  They were always willing to help when I had a question or saw me struggling.  They also helped me get out there in the field, playing shows while I was still in school.  I can’t find enough words to say how grateful I am from everyone in the MATC Music Department, professors and students!  They helped me pave a path towards my career goal and I’m well on my way.  Thank you all!”
-Bob Schaab
At the time of this writing, Bob is currently studying music at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

No comments:

Post a Comment